Rural Property Decision

Rural Property in Western Australia offers a quality of life many people find hard to resist.

However, we need to think about some of the realities of life in a rural area before buying and living on a rural property.

Farming is a Business

The property you wish to buy might look peaceful. But farming is an industry and surrounding farmers are running a business.

If you are moving from the city, or a major rural town, are you prepared to be part of the rural community? Or like me do you prefer solitude.

It is important to know what you want from owning a small landholding. Be clear and honest assessing your expectations. Carry out realistic research. You may want to engage a consultant who will assist your decision making.

Isolation is Real.

Isolation and stress are some of the risks moving to a rural environment. Can you handle it?

Above all, before buying any property, carry out a thorough notification on title check. Your settlement agent will do this for you. They will tell you if there are easement agreements. Are all services (power, water, access and telephone) in place. Is there any carbon, conservation, heritage, or other caveats or covenants?

Be aware of the responsibilities and commitments required living on a rural property. There may be ramifications if these are not met.

Rural Property Responsibilities

Landholders have many responsibilities and legal obligations to consider.

The Federal Government makes laws about taxation, trade and commerce and quarantine.

State Government laws govern

  • native vegetation,
  • water,
  • health,
  • animal welfare,
  • livestock identification and movement,
  • stock diseases,
  • planning,
  • environment protection,
  • movement of plant materials,
  • noxious weeds and
  • vermin.

Local Government laws govern

  • planning, buildings and improvements, health and neighbourhood disputes.
  • Maintaining health and welfare of your animals,
  • responsible chemical use and farm safety are important requirements.
  • Land managers need to protect water resources,
  • control pest animals,
  • eradicate noxious weeds,
  • conserve soil and
  • avoid contributing to land degradation.

These laws are important to ensure long-term healthy and productive land. Abiding by these laws helps build friendly communities. There are industry-based codes of practice administered by local and state government staff.

There is much to Consider

If you decide to pursue your rural property dream, we would be happy to help you achieve that dream. Call Supreme Settlements on (08) 9417 2322 or contact us with more detail today.

Property Title Name Change

A property title is an important legal document that lists the registered owners of a property and guarantees security of property ownership.

While there are plenty of reasons why you might need to add someone to a property title, there are also situations where you need to remove someone’s name from a property title.

  • When a co-owner of your property passes away it is important that the Title be updated as soon as possible.
  • Possibly a family member passes and you need to transfer ownership of their property.
  • Perhaps you’re getting divorced and it’s time to remove your former spouse’s name from the document.

The exact process you need to follow to remove a name from a title differs slightly in each Australian state and territory.

Make sure you contact the relevant department for detailed instructions on the process where you live. In Western Australia refer Landgate or solicitor or conveyancer.

Property Title – Name Removal

You can remove someone’s name from a property title yourself, but this can be a confusing process that involves complex technical jargon. Many people prefer to engage the services of a property lawyer or a licensed conveyancer to carry out the work.

The professionals have the expertise to deal with any problems that may arise while transferring property and can help ensure that the transaction is handled with a minimum of fuss.

Removing a name from a property title can have many far-reaching legal, financial and taxation consequences, so seek professional advice tailored to your situation.

Property Title – Separation

Around one in three of all Australian marriages end in divorce, so learning how to get a partner’s name removed from a property title is a common problem.

You may also undergo a name change as part of the divorce, and you’ll need to remember to have your own name changed on the property title to reflect this.

While severing all financial and legal ties to your ex in a divorce may seem like the best approach, make sure to consider all your options before choosing to do this.

There are a myriad of potential scenarios that could arise depending on your personal circumstances, so ask your solicitor for advice and guidance on the best approach.

Property Title – Who Can Help

Supreme Settlements can prepare and lodge documents on your behalf with Landgate to update the Title and reflect the property in your sole name.

Call us today (08) 9417 2322 or Contact Us with more details.

Vacant Land For Sale

How to select your choice of vacant land for sale if you are looking to build a house. This information will also be relevant if you are looking for land for commercial or industrial use.

Often a block is released for sale in a new housing or industrial estate or sub-division. That’s where most people find them.

If you have a settlement agent they will do much of the necessary research for you. If you are contemplating the task yourself… … I would suggest you do your homework.

Here are a few things you need to do:

Check with the local council and the Department of Planning when buying vacant land. Looking for details of facilities and amenities planned for the area. Proposed or planned:

  • schools;
  • shops;
  • parks, etc. that may impact your land.

There may be restrictions on building on the property.

Ask if there are any future road works or other public works planned for the area. Possible highways, power lines, transformers or other utilities that could impact your land.

The local council will tell you if the land is subject to a ‘building envelope’.

A building envelope is of particular relevance in semi-rural subdivisions. House construction may only be possible within a certain area of the block.

Make inquiries with the relevant government authorities. Ask about services connected to the block. Services can be electricity, gas, water, sewerage, internet access. How good is mobile phone coverage, and land line telephone? Ask about the position of underground cables and pipes.

Check with the local council for the composition of the soil. You are looking for sand, limestone, or clay, to determine whether it is suitable for building.

Have a licensed surveyor conduct a check on the boundaries of the property. Ensure boundaries are accurate.

How to select vacant land – site costs

Site costs are the expenses you will have to meet to have the block prepared for the foundations of the house. The nature of the house and the characteristics of the land determine site costs. Before you buy your block get a quote for site costs for the style and size of the house you are planning to build.

Generally blocks of land with the lowest site costs are those that are flat and have sandy soil. Rocky land with steep slopes tends to have high site costs. Drainage problems will also affect site costs. The local council will be able to tell you if the land is susceptible to drainage problems. You may need special building requirements and/or restrictions.

That is to say, get a quote from the builder for site costs before making an offer to buy. Ask your potential neighbours who have built recently in the area if they encountered any problems.

How to select vacant land – Restrictions

Encumbrances are restrictions, which could hamper the future use of the land. Encumbrances on vacant land may include:

• easements – for example, an adjoining landowner may have a particular right to cross the land; a sewerage or drainage line may have to pass through your land; and/or

• restrictive covenants – for example, there may be restrictions on using the land in a certain way, including restrictions on building heights or the use of certain building materials; boundary fences to be constructed to a particular standard.

If you are in a designated bush fire area, extra planning and building requirements may apply.

A great idea is to check for any encumbrances through your solicitor or settlement agent.

Therefore, when considering the purchase of a block of land, make inquiries. Ask if there are any easements or restrictions that might affect the use or resale of the land.

If you have undertaken this task on your own, you may find the best option is to carry out your own checks. Engaging a settlement agent will reduce this task 10 fold. Your settlement agent will be available to move you through settlement and protect you from criteria that you might miss.

Supreme Settlements are available to answer your questions and provide you with more detailed information. Call them today (08) 9417 2322 or leave a more detailed request at Contact Us